Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Circular Polarizer

When starting photography I heard all this chitter chatter about filters, all these different types, sizes, pros, cons, etc.
There were UV, skylight, CPL's (the topic of today's post), ND, color, etc.

I started out using UV filters for protection, but then now I simply resort to lens hoods to protect my front element. If I'm caught in a sandstorm, maybe I'll throw on my UV filter.

The circular polarizing filter (CPL) is an incredibly useful tool to have handy in a kit.

It can cut reflections in glass and water, give skies a deep blue look, and also serve as a faux ND filter and cut a stop of light if conditions are too bright.

Here are just a few samples of what a CPL can do.













All of these were shot at similar settings with the only difference being a turn of the CPL filter

No comments: